Mabank in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lawndale families and merchants began moving to Mabank. The town grew rapidly, boasting a park, depot, and stock loading pens. There was a gin, post office, cafe, hotel, and several mercantile businesses. Later, church lots were set aside for Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian congregations. The Baptist church erected a building for a community house and school.
The economy of the area depended first on
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8533.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 32° 22.15′ N, 96° 6.796′ W. Marker is in Mabank, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of West Mason Street (Business U.S. 175) and West Market Street, on the left when traveling south on West Mason Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mabank TX 75147, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roddy Lodge No. 734, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Mabank (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Church of Mabank (approx. 0.8 miles away); White Hall School (approx. 2.9 miles away); Baker Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Capt. Edward Thomas Broughton and the Johnson Guards (approx. 7.7 miles away); Prairieville (approx. 7.7 miles away); Kemp (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mabank.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 280 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.