Gallaudet in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Edward Miner Gallaudet Residence
Edward Miner Gallaudet
Gallaudet became the first superintendent of the Columbia Institution for the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind in 1857, and in 1864, was named the first president of the National Deaf Mute College, later known as Gallaudet College and Gallaudet University. He retired in 1910, after 53 years with the College.
Gallaudet and his family lived here from 1868-1911. The residence continues to be the home for Gallaudet's presidents and their families.
Gift of Gallaudet University Alumni Association
Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund
Erected 2001 by Gallaudet University Alumni Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 38° 54.374′ N, 76° 59.824′ W. Marker is in Gallaudet in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on Faculty Row Northeast near Lincoln Circle Northeast. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Florida Avenue Northeast, Washington DC 20002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Ballard House (within shouting distance of this marker); Helen Fay House (within shouting distance of this marker); Denison House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the Rose Cottage (about 500 feet away); "Ole Jim" (about 600 feet away); Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet (about 600 feet away); Chapel Hall (about 600 feet away); Edward Miner Gallaudet (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gallaudet.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 13, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.