Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founding Fort Worth
Major General William J. Worth was the commanding officer of the eighth military district including Texas and Mexico. His responsibility was to maintain peace between settlers and the plains Indians. His plan was to establish a new post on the Trinity River to extend the line of defense. Worth died suddenly of cholera and did not get to see his plan come to light. Major Ripley Arnold was given the duty of establishing a fort by the acting commander, General Harney. This site would close the gap between the Brazos and Red Rivers. Arnold’s dragoons met with Col. Middleton Tate Johnson, a citizen with great influence, at the ranger’s station on Marrow Bone Springs. Along with Johnson were Joseph R. Parker, Dr. William B. Echols, Charles Turner and Simon Farrar. Along with his five guides, Arnold and his men set out to locate the ideal site for the new fort.
The barracks of the fort were first located at the present-day site of the Tarrant County Courthouse. The land was described by Simon Farrar as “the most beautiful and grand country the sun had ever shone on…in view of all advantages of a natural point of defense.”
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17361.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 45.522′ N, 97° 20.229′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on North Taylor Street north of Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north. This marker stands in Heritage Park, near Ripley Arnold Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 360-398 North Taylor Street, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First School (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Fort Worth Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building Site of the First Masonic Hall in Fort Worth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Worth (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Site of Camp Worth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leonard Brothers Department Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Worth 1849-1853 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
More about this marker. This marker was not originally built to be post-mounted. A custom post and mount was made for it.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. 3. submitted on January 19, 2021, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.