Thunder Bay in Thunder Bay District, Ontario — Central Canada
Union of the North West and Hudson's Bay Companies
In the late eighteenth century, most of the fur traders using the Ottawa River-Great Lakes canoe route into the interior of North America belonged to the North West Company, which used Fort William as its inland headquarters. To the north, the rival Hudson's Bay Company exported furs by ship from its sub-Arctic posts. By 1810 both companies were expanding their operations inland into the fur-rich Athabaska area. Their intensifying competition provoked violent clashes between contending traders. Disturbed by the bloodshed and the disruption of trade, the British government insisted that the two companies settle their differences. In 1821 they merged into a jointly owned monopoly which adopted the name and northern trade routes of the Hudson's Bay Company.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Recreation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1810.
Location. 48° 20.844′ N, 89° 21.272′ W. Marker is in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in Thunder Bay DistrictTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1350 King Road, Thunder Bay ON P7K 1L7, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Canadian Car & Foundry (approx. 4.1 kilometers away); Elizabeth Muriel Gregory "Elsie" MacGill (approx. 4.1 kilometers away); The Mission of the Immaculate Conception 1849 (approx. 6.6 kilometers away); Fort William (approx. 7.9 kilometers away); The Western Route of the C.P.R. (approx. 8.7 kilometers away); Thunder Bay Public Library (approx. 8.8 kilometers away); William McGillivray (approx. 8.9 kilometers away); Fort Kaministiquia 1717 (approx. 8.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thunder Bay.
Also see . . . Fort William Historical Park. (Submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 2, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 2. submitted on July 16, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.