Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1737 H Street N.W.
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 38° 54.019′ N, 77° 2.48′ W. Marker is in Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on H Street NW west of 17th Street Northwest, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1737 H Street Northwest, Washington DC 20006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edward R. Murrow (within shouting distance of this marker); Hurrah! (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Engine House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nineteenth Street Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); The Corcoran Gallery of Art (about 800 feet away); "The Seven Buildings" (about Renwick Gallery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Riggs Bank General History (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown.
Regarding "The Bachelor". In 1902 Waddy Wood began an association with Edward Donn, Jr. and William I. Deming, forming the firm of Wood, Donn and Deming. The firm was highly successful in Washington, D.C. providing services to various branches of government. Their designs can be found throughout the United States, including the expansion of the Portsmouth Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, Virginia. They also had a strong residential client base designing houses for prominent citizens such as Mrs. Phil Sheridan, General Charles Lane Fitzhugh and Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, as well as public residences such as the Bachelor Apartment House located near the White House. In 1906 Wood, Donn & Deming became the first Washington, D.C. architectural firm to design a bank high-rise in their city when they designed the Union Trust Building, now home to an American Bar Association branch office and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In the past, the city's largest banks had each retained nationally renowned architects while local architects were only chosen
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.