Mabank in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Mabank
In 1900, when the Texas and New Orleans Railroad was built through this area, the town of Mabank was created on the rail line. The citizens of Lawndale relocated to the new townsite. Baptists constructed the first church building in Mabank, which the Presbyterian congregation also used until 1903, when a frame sanctuary was completed under the leadership of the Rev. Newton P. Patterson. The name was changed to First Presbyterian Church, USA, of Mabank in 1904.
During the depression of the 1930s the church experienced a period of inactivity. By the 1940s, however, the congregation was reorganized. The construction of a nearby lake in the 1960s brought economic revitalization and increased population to the area. The membership of First Presbyterian Church grew as a result, and the congregation called its first full-time pastor in 1977. It continues to serve the community
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8513.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is September 11, 1896.
Location. 32° 22.056′ N, 96° 6.114′ W. Marker is in Mabank, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of West Mount Vernon Street and North 3rd Street, on the left when traveling east on West Mount Vernon Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 W Mount Vernon St, Mabank TX 75147, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roddy Lodge No. 734, A.F. & A.M. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Mabank (about 800 feet away); Mabank (approx. 0.7 miles away); White Hall School (approx. 2.8 miles away); Baker Cemetery (approx. 6˝ miles away); Capt. Edward Thomas Broughton and the Johnson Guards (approx. 7.8 miles away); Prairieville (approx. 7.8 miles away); Kemp (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mabank.
Also see . . . Frst Presbyterian Church of Mabank Texas. (Submitted on August 4, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 3, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.