Sulligent in Lamar County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Ogden House
Leila Ogden, daughter of the builder, presented this house to the Town of Sulligent in 1975.
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. 33° 53.994′ N, 88° 7.985′ W. Marker is in Sulligent, Alabama, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of Alabama Route 17 and Brown Street, on the right when traveling north on State Route 17. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sulligent AL 35586, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birth of Sulligent (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Hollis Bankhead (approx. 0.7 Center Point Church (approx. 7.1 miles away in Mississippi); Splunge Free Will Baptist Church (approx. 9.1 miles away in Mississippi); Lamar County Korea & Vietnam Memorial (approx. 9.9 miles away); Lamar County Confederate Memorial (approx. 9.9 miles away); Lamar County WWI & WWII Memorial (approx. 10 miles away); Wise's Gap 1816 (approx. 11½ miles away in Mississippi). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulligent.
Regarding The Ogden House. The house once was the town library. The house is in an advanced stage of deterioration and it appears there is not currently a viable plan to restore it.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,495 times since then and 142 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.