Sulligent in Lamar County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Birth of Sulligent
In April 1886, railroad prospectors were traveling up the Butahatchie Valley in Lamar County, Alabama, Moscow beat, and securing right of way for a railroad to be built that would connect Birmingham, Alabama and Memphis, Tennessee. In November 1886, resident engineer Thomas of the Kansas City Railroad made headquarters, taking care of railroad business, at G. Bankhead's popular old southern home. His home was situated about one-half mile away, overlooking the site of a future town on Colonel G.E. Brown's farm. In August 1887, a depot was established on the Brown farm and Elliot was chosen as the name in honor of Major R.H. Elliott, general superintendent of construction at Bessemer, Alabama. In September 1887, the first through train passed through Elliot with high officials of the railroad on board and Colonel G.E. Brown began to lay off property lots for the town and the towns name was changed in September 1887 to Sulligent in honor of Mr. Sullivan and Mr. Sargent, two railroad employees.
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Sulligent.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1888.
Location. 33° 54.103′ N, 88° 8.056′ W. Marker is in Sulligent, AlabamaTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sulligent AL 35586, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Ogden House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Hollis Bankhead (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lamar County Korea & Vietnam Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away); Lamar County Confederate Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away); Lamar County WWI & WWII Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away); Wise's Gap 1816 (approx. 11.4 miles away in Mississippi); Historical Pikeville (approx. 14.2 miles away); General Jackson's Military Road (approx. 14.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulligent.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama article on Sulligent, Alabama. (Submitted on August 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 462 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.