Bridport in Addison County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Bridport District Schoolhouse #1
Erected c. 1864, this one-room schoolhouse served hundreds of children in Bridport for nearly a century. Originally founded as the first district school in Bridport, it later became known as Hathorne School, reflecting the name of a nearby landowner. The restored building is a wood frame design on a stone foundation and features two entrances, one for boys and one for girls. A large woodstove heated the building and a cast iron bell called the children to class each morning.
Erected 2015 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 44° 0.248′ N, 73° 22.408′ W. Marker is in Bridport, Vermont, in Addison County. Marker is at the intersection of Vermont Route 125 and Basin Harbor Road, on the left when traveling west on State Route 125. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridport VT 05734, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ruins of Pre-Revolutionary Village (approx. 2.9 miles away in New York); Samuel ChamplainNorthern Terminal of the Crown Point Military Road (approx. 3.1 miles away); Eastern Terminus (approx. 3.2 miles away in New York); Welcome To The Lake Champlain Bridge Heritage Area (approx. 3.2 miles away in New York); Chimney Point (approx. 3.2 miles away); Selecting a Bridge Location (approx. 3.2 miles away in New York); The White Flag (approx. 3.2 miles away in New York).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2016, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 5, 2016, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.