Welcome to the National Road
The Historic National Road in Ohio
— West Gate —
Construction began in 1811 in Cumberland, Maryland, extending an earlier route from Baltimore. By 1818, the road reached the Ohio River; by 1833, it was completed to Columbus, Ohio; in 1850, it extended to Vandalia, Illinois.
The National Road is an engineering marvel. graceful stone arch bridges cross streams and rivers. Inns and taverns were built to meet the need of travelers. Many of the bridges and buildings that characterized the early days of the road can still be found in towns along the road today.
Much of the old National road is still part of U.S. Route 40. Several sections of the original road are
Erected 2010 by The Rodeo Shop and generous members of the Ohio National Road Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list.
Location. 39° 50.813′ N, 84° 38.678′ W. Marker is near Lewisburg, Ohio, in Preble County. Marker is on National Road (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in a pull-off in front of the Rodeo Shop. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 811 US 40, Lewisburg OH 45338, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Euphemia (approx. 5.7 miles away); Camp Maple Swamp (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named Welcome to the National Road (approx. 6.3 miles away); Van Ausdal-Donohoe House (approx. 7.1 miles away); Preble County Courthouse (approx. 7.1 miles away); William Bruce Monument at Mound Hill Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Mound Hill Cemetery Civil War Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Additional keywords. Old National Road
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 5, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.