Texarkana in Bowie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
United States Post Office and Courthouse
Each state had separate post offices until 1892, when first joint office was built on this site. It was razed in 1930, and in 1933 the present structure was completed. The base is of Texas pink granite while walls are of limestone from Arkansas.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9512.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Landmarks • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list.
Location. 33° 25.512′ N, 94° 2.59′ W. Marker is in Texarkana, Texas, in Bowie County. Marker is at the intersection of East 5th Street and East 5th Street, on the left when traveling east on East 5th Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 North State Line Avenue, Texarkana TX 75501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texarkana (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central Christian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scott Joplin (approx. 0.3 miles away); James Bowie (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Records Stored at Rondo (approx. 4.6 miles away in Arkansas).
Also see . . . Wikipedia article about Courthouse & Post Office. (Submitted on August 7, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 7, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.