Baton Rouge in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Louisiana's Old State Capitol
North Boulevard at Lafayette
Badly damaged twice by fire when used as a garrison during the Civil War, the structure was rebuilt in 1882 by William Freret, an architect and engineer. Freret added a stained glass dome, cast iron buttresses, and a large interior spiral staircase. This landmark building housed the Louisiana Legislature until 1932 when it was abandoned for the new State Capitol.
In 1994, a major restoration project transformed the building into the Museum of Political History
Photos: The Louisiana Collection, State Library of Louisiana
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics.
Location. 30° 26.835′ N, 91° 11.367′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker is on Lafayette Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baton Rouge LA 70802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Slim Harpo (here, next to this marker); Caroline Durieux (here, next to this marker); Site of Spanish Battery, 1779 (a few steps from this marker); Old State Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old State Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); The Founding Of Baton Rouge (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old State Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); Merci Train (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2016. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 8, 2016. 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2016, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. 4. submitted on August 8, 2016. 5. submitted on September 16, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.