De Kalb in Bowie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Named for Maj. Gen. Johann de Kalb - a hero of the American Revolution - upon suggestion (1836) of David Crockett, a visitor on his way to fight in Texas War for Independence. Other Texas heroes traveling through here were James B. Fannin and Wm. B. Travis.
Settled by 1831, when land was given for a public school by Dr. W. H. Boyce, Wm. L. Browning, D. M. Chisholm, Clement R. Johns and Judge (and Dr.) James W. Smith.
Site of first college in Bowie County, founded in 1839 and of Ninth Masonic Lodge in Texas, organized 1840. Served as county seat, 1840-1841. On two early stagelines. A stopover for U.S. immigrants to Texas Republic, and 49'ers on way to California gold rush.
In 1870's hideouts of train robbers Sam Bass, Jesse James, other notorious characters were nearby. Texas & Pacific Railroad reached here 1876. Site in 1889 of P. S. Ramseur's sawmill which shipped high quality lumber all over United States; to get logs to mill, he built a railroad, traces of which still exist. Although in 1896 and 1923 most of businesses were destroyed by fires, city prospers today. Center of ranching, truck farming, and
Known as "The Pride of East Texas".
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9475.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Jesse James series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1831.
Location. 33° 30.645′ N, 94° 37.192′ W. Marker is in De Kalb, Texas, in Bowie County. Marker is at the intersection of Northwest Fulton Street and Northwest Napp Street, on the right when traveling west on Northwest Fulton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Northwest Fulton Street, De Kalb TX 75559, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church (approx. Ό mile away); Avery Methodist Church (approx. 9.8 miles away); Dalby Springs Methodist Church (approx. 10.6 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on De Kalb, Texas. (Submitted on August 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.