Baton Rouge in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The Founding of "Red Stick"
How Baton Rouge Got its Name
Over the years, French, British and Spanish flags each flew over the community. By the 1780's, still under Spanish rule, Baton Rouge had flourished. Its first neighborhoods, Spanish Town and Beauregard Town were designed in 1805 and 1806. By then, the local population had grown substantially. The river continued to bring new commerce and visitors. In 1810, the area became part of the colonies and in 1817, the town was officially incorporated.
Images: Pierre Le Moyne, Sieur d'Iberville and Map courtesy of The Louisiana Collection, State Library of Louisiana.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 26.721′ N, 91° 11.417′ W. Marker is in Baton RougeTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baton Rouge LA 70802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Johnny Rivers (here, next to this marker); Riverfront Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); The D'Artaguiette Concession (within shouting distance of this marker); Votes For Women (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); USS Kidd Veterans Museum & Ship (about 500 feet away); A-7E Corsair II (about 500 feet away); Louisiana Vietnam War Memorial (about 500 feet away); USS Kidd KIA Memorial (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
Also see . . .
1. Bayougoula history. More about the "red stick" (Submitted on January 26, 2018.)
2. Louisiana in 1700's. Map of Louisiana in the 1700's showing the Red River (Riv. Rouge) connected to the Mississippi River. (Submitted on January 26, 2018.)
3. Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville. Explorations (Submitted on January 27, 2018.)
1. Baton Rouge name
A direct translation of "red stick" is Rouge Baton
— Submitted January 26, 2018.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2016. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2016. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.