Fort Buford Historic Site
In 1895 the fort was dismantled and the garrison was transferred to Fort Assiniboine, Montana.
The original adobe buildings providing quarters for 300 men were later replaced by about 100 frame buildings: though most of the buildings were sold and removed upon dismantling the fort. A stone powder magazine and the headquarters building are preserved on their original sites. The old military cemetery is also preserved.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles
Location. 47° 59.159′ N, 104° 0.07′ W. Marker is in Williston, North Dakota, in Williams County. Marker is on 39th Lane NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15349 39th Lane NW, Williston ND 58801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Telegraph Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Field Officers' Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Buford State Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Infantry Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Trader's Complex (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Parade Ground (about 400 feet away); North Dakota Masonic Foundation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Yellowstone Lodge #88 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williston.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 11, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.