New Albany in Union County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Union County, Mississippi
Union County was established on July, 7, 1870, during the post—Civil War Reconstruction era, from portions of Tippah, Lee, and Ponotoc counties. Governor James L. Alcorn appointed Union County's first officials and set New Albany as the county seat. The first courthouse as built on Cotton Street ca. 1870, and the current courthouse was constructed in 1909. According to local legend, the county was named for Union District, South Carolina, where a number of the county's settlers originated.
Erected 2008 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 7, 1870.
Location. 34° 29.576′ N, 89° 0.424′ W. Marker is in New Albany, Mississippi, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of East Bankhead Street (State Highway 178) and Court Avenue, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 East Bankhead Street, New Albany MS 38652, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mosley and Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Faulkner (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Albany, Mississippi (approx. ¼ mile away); B.F. Ford School (approx. half a mile away); Elder Roma Wilson & Rev. Leon Pinson (approx. half a mile away); Glenfield Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Stratford Company (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ishtehotopah (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
Also see . . . Union County, Mississippi. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on January 6, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.