Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bryant Branch Library
Education is the greatest force in civilization
Henry Ford (1863-1947)
This building served as Dearborn's Main Library for 45 years and was named the public library. Land for the building was donated in 1923 by Mrs. Henry Ford. Construction was made possible by a bond issue of $150,000, approved by the voters of Dearborn Township on April 2, 1923. Ownership of the property was transferred from the township to the City of Dearborn in 1928. After the dedication of the Henry Ford Centennial Library in 1969, this building was called the Mason Branch Library. By action of the Dearborn Library Commission April 2, 1977, it was named Bryant Branch Library for Katharine Wright Bryant, wife of E. Roy Bryant and sister-in-law of Clara Bryant Ford. Katharine Bryant was appointed to the first library board by the Dearborn Board of Education in July, 1920.
Erected 1991 by Dearborn Historical Commission & Dearborn Historical Society. (Marker Number 001.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is April 2, 1923.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22100 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Westward Welcome (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Arsenal 1833 - 1875 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); U.S. Arsenal Officers' - Surgeons' Quarters and Barracks 1833 - 1875 (about 700 feet away); Commandant's Quarters (about 700 feet away); Michigan Soldiers Trained at U.S. Arsenal During Civil War (about 700 feet away); Rhythm of Radio (about 800 feet away); A Military Reserve (about 800 feet away); U. S. Arsenal - - - Armory (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.