Wichita Falls in Wichita County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of St. James Hotel
Joseph Alexander Kemp (1861-1930), a Wichita Falls merchant, and Morris Lasker (1840-1916), a native of Prussia who later served as state senator from Galveston, formed a partnership in 1892 for the construction of a hotel at this site. Built by Myles O'Reilly, the three-story St. James Hotel was completed one year later and became the center of area social events. Guests were attracted by the good food and by the music of a hotel orchestra. Business began to decline as new hotels opened in the area and in 1929 the building was demolished.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4889.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 33° 54.864′ N, 98° 29.404′ W. Marker is in Wichita Falls, Texas, in Wichita County. Marker is at the intersection of 7th Street and LaSalle Avenue, on the right when traveling east on 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7th Street, Wichita Falls TX 76301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceGeorge Alonzo Soule (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry C. Luecke (about 400 feet away); J. A. Kemp Wholesale Grocery Building (about 400 feet away); The Zale Legacy (about 500 feet away); Site of Gorsline's Fashion Livery Stable (about 600 feet away); John F. O'Donohue (about 600 feet away); The Wichita Falls Bank Robbery of 1896 (approx. Ό mile away); Charlye Ola Farris (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wichita Falls.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.