Wichita Falls in Wichita County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
J. A. Kemp Wholesale Grocery Building
Built in 1892, this structure housed the J. A. Kemp Wholesale Grocery business for 35 years. The building originally measured 50 by 100 feet and contained a full basement. A two-story brick addition was completed by 1901. The Industrial Supply Company occupied the building during the oil boom of the 1930s, and continued to provide petroleum products to the area for 34 years. Another addition was built onto the rear of the structure in the 1940s. The large arched windows and doors exhibit skilled masonry in sandstone. The building contains 18,750 square feet of space.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12295.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings.
Location. 33° 54.826′ N, 98° 29.338′ W. Marker is in Wichita Falls, Texas, in Wichita County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and LaSalle Avenue, on the left when traveling east on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 8th Street, Wichita Falls TX 76301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Zale Legacy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of St. James Hotel (about 400 feet away); John F. O'Donohue (about 500 feet away); George Alonzo Soule (about 700 feet away); Henry C. Luecke (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Wichita Falls Bank Robbery of 1896 (approx. ¼ mile away); Charlye Ola Farris (approx. 0.3 miles away); Joseph Hudson Barwise (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wichita Falls.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 263 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.