Quanah in Hardeman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hardeman County Courthouse
Hardeman County was created in 1858 and named for early Texas legislators Bailey and Thomas Jones Hardeman. It was not organized, however, until 1884 when the population had increased enough to have a formal county government. The community of Margaret (now in Foard County) was selected as first county seat, but after the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway laid out the townsite of Quanah along its line, voters elected to move the county seat to Quanah in 1890.
A 1906 bond election secured funds for the construction of a new building to replace the 1890 county courthouse. The Commissioners Court selected architect R. H. Stuckey of Chillicothe and Tom Lovell & Sons of Denton to design and construct the building, respectively. Stuckey used a domed cupola, stone lintels over the windows, and ionic columns flanking the entryways to execute his Neoclassical design for the courthouse. Built of glazed tan brick with a raised basement of Indiana limestone, it was completed in 1908.
Since its construction, the Hardeman County Courthouse has served as the center of politics and government for county residents. The square
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12782.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 34° 17.822′ N, 99° 44.405′ W. Marker is in Quanah, Texas, in Hardeman County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (State Highway 6) and West 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Located on the law of the Hardeman County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 South Main Street, Quanah TX 79252, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Quanah (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hardeman County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Church of Quanah (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hardeman CountyWilliam Jesse McDonald (approx. 0.9 miles away); Medicine Mound Depot (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quanah.
Also see . . . Hardeman County Courthouse and photos - from Texas Escapes. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.