Clarendon in Donley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Funeral Business in Clarendon
For more than a century, this site has been the location of a funeral home, a vital community business serving a widespread area of the Panhandle. Kentucky native Pleasant Andrew Buntin (1849-1941) brought his family to Texas in 1879, settling first in Mobeetie (Wheeler Co.). The Buntins moved to Clarendon in 1888 following the arrival of the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad. P.A. Buntin rode a mail route from there through Palo Duro Canyon and Schott Gap (Briscoe Co.) to the Caprock, changing wagons and horses to make the 60-mile round trip in a single day. Buntin also operated a dairy, and he was a charter member of the Methodist church and the Masonic lodge in Clarendon.
At this site in 1899, Buntin established a funeral home, one of the earliest in the Texas Panhandle. He and his wife, Lucy Jane (Gibbs), had four children, and their youngest son Fred continued in the family business. Fred attended Clarendon College and the Dallas School of Embalming, and joined his father's company in 1919. The business territory covered several counties, and notable early burials conducted by the family included pioneer ranchers Charles
The Buntins sold the business in 1945, although the family name remained in use with others for several years. A number of families have since been associated with the historic operation, including, from 1977, the Robertsons, who for a short time owned another funeral parlor in Clarendon.
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13942.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
Location. 34° 56.272′ N, 100° 53.382′ W. Marker is in Clarendon, Texas, in Donley County. Marker is at the intersection of Sully Street and East 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south on Sully Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 Sully Street, Clarendon TX 79226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stockton P. Donley (within shouting distance of this marker); Donley County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church of St. John BaptistThe Clarendon News (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Clarendon (approx. 0.2 miles away); S. W. Lowe House (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away); Donley County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarendon.
Also see . . . Robertson Funeral Directors history. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 3. submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.