Claude in Armstrong County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
of Armstrong County, 1890-1926
The earliest sheriffs were: John F. Wilson, 1890-92; Vince S. Terry, 1892-96; Pat H. Lynch, 1896-1904, 1919-24; Jeff D. Martin, 1904-06; W.A. (Bill) Davis, 1906-10; Ranzil C. Rodgers, 1910-14; James D. Woodburn, 1914-19, 1924-26.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1354.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 6.626′ N, 101° 21.606′ W. Marker is in Claude, Texas, in Armstrong County. Marker is at the intersection of West 1st Street (U.S. 287) and Parks Street, on the right when traveling west on West 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Armstrong County Jail (here, next to this marker); "The Claude News" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Howard Roan (about 500 feet away); The Great Panhandle Indian Scare of 1891 (about 500 feet away); Boy Scout Troop No. 17 (about 500 feet away); Town of Claude (about 500 feet away); Route of Coronado Expedition (about 500 feet away); Dr. and Mrs. Wm. A. Warner (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Claude.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on current Sheriff's Office. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.