Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Claude in Armstrong County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Town of Claude

 
 
Town of Claude Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 22, 2016
1. Town of Claude Marker
Inscription.  Founded when Fort Worth & Denver Railroad built into area (1887). Claude Ayers, engineer on first passenger train through here, suggested town be named for him — and citizens agreed.

Jerry Cavanaugh, first resident, gave land for town. Post office was granted in 1888, with E.H. Trice, postmaster. Claude won a close race for county seat, 1890. Tie-breaking vote was cast by famous rancher Chas. Goodnight.

Churches were established in 1890 and a school built in 1891. Noted Panhandle historian Laura V. Hamner was an early teacher. Town was incorporated in 1909.
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5524.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
 
Location. 35° 6.575′ N, 101° 21.531′ W. Marker is in Claude, Texas, in Armstrong County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street (U.S. 287) and Trice Street, on the left when
Town of Claude Marker located at the Armstrong County Courthouse (3rd from left) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 22, 2016
2. Town of Claude Marker located at the Armstrong County Courthouse (3rd from left)
Click or scan to see
this page online
traveling west on 1st Street. Located at the Armstrong County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Trice Street, Claude TX 79019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boy Scout Troop No. 17 (here, next to this marker); Route of Coronado Expedition (here, next to this marker); Dr. and Mrs. Wm. A. Warner (here, next to this marker); The Great Panhandle Indian Scare of 1891 (here, next to this marker); Charles Howard Roan (here, next to this marker); Armstrong County (here, next to this marker); "The Claude News" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Sheriffs (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Claude.
 
Also see . . .  Texas State Historical Association article on the Town of Claude. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Armstrong County Courthouse - location of marker. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 22, 2016
3. Armstrong County Courthouse - location of marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=96836

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 27, 2022