Clarksville in Red River County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Rev. William Stevenson
(October 4, 1768 - March 5, 1857)
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10894.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1815.
Location. 33° 36.682′ N, 95° 3.019′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Texas, in Red River County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Walnut Street and Broadway Street. Located in town square, former location of courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 Walnut Street, Clarksville TX 75426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Stagecoach Stand, C. S. A. (here, next to this marker); Five Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence from Red River County (a few steps from this marker); Members of Confederate Congresses (a few steps from this marker); Home of Col. Charles DeMorse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Northern Standard (about 600 feet away); Red River County War Memorial (about 700 feet away); Red River Courthouse (about 800 feet away); Red River County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksville.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article on William Stevenson. (Submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.