Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Cloud in Osceola County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First National Bank/St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce

 
 
First National Bank/St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, July 13, 2016
1. First National Bank/St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce Marker
Inscription.  St. Cloud's First National Bank opened in 1910. This narrow, two story Masonry Vernacular structure was built from locally produced sand brick, wood beams, and concrete block. St. Cloud residents subscribed over $100,000 of capital stock, twice as much as required by the United States Comptroller. It was the only national bank in the county, and the level of capital stock raised was unprecedented. In 1911, the bank issued $10 notes with a picture of the bank’s first president, William H. Lynn. Though the bank failed in December 1917, the building remained an important part of downtown St. Cloud. Many diverse community organizations and businesses were housed in the building, including the People's Bank of St. Cloud in 1919, the US. Spanish War Veterans Headquarters in 1934, and the Golden Age Club in 1970. The building was purchased in 1992 by the Chamber of Commerce, which represents over 500 local businesses, and serves as its headquarters. In 1997, the St. Cloud Chamber was awarded a state historic preservation grant to restore the building with support from Florida Secretary of State Sandra Mortham. Following its restoration, the building
First National Bank/St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce Marker and building image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, July 13, 2016
2. First National Bank/St. Cloud Chamber of Commerce Marker and building
Click or scan to see
this page online
has also served as a museum devoted to St. Cloud history.
 
Erected 2015 by St. Cloud Main Street, City of St. Cloud, Osceola County Economic Development, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-856.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
 
Location. 28° 14.81′ N, 81° 17.017′ W. Marker is in St. Cloud, Florida, in Osceola County. Marker is at the intersection of New York Avenue and 12th Street, on the left when traveling north on New York Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 New York Avenue, Saint Cloud FL 34769, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fisk Funeral Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Thunderstorm Project (about 500 feet away); Grand Army of the Republic Building (about 500 feet away); Hunter Arms Hotel (about 600 feet away); Veterans Memorial Library (about 700 feet away); Sugar Belt Railway/VFW Post (approx. 0.2 miles away); Soldier City's Mount Peace Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hamilton Disston Sugar Plantation (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Cloud.
 
Also see . . .  St. Cloud Greater Osceola Chamber of Commerce. (Submitted on August 17, 2016.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=96945

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2021