Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dearborn City Hall
A Building for City Leadership
East Downtown Dearborn is "the neighborhood the Rouge Plant built,"
and its fortunes have been tied to Ford Motor Company. Ford taxes generated much of the income used to build the impressive Georgian Revival-style building, which opened on June 26, 1922, as the Springwells Township Hall. Today it serves as the East Wing of Dearborn City Hall.
You Auto Know
Detroit architect Marcus Burrowes designed Springwells Township Hall, along with other elegant municipal buildings and mansions throughout the Detroit area.
Erected by Motorcities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 26, 1922.
Location. 42° 19.304′ N, 83° 10.614′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Avenue (U.S. 12) and Neckel Street, on the right when traveling east on Michigan AvenueTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13615 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn MI 48126, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dearborn City Hall Complex / Orville L. Hubbard (a few steps from this marker); The Schaefer Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dearborn War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Neighborhood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dedicated to Christopher Columbus (approx. half a mile away); Fordson High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Ford Rotunda (approx. 0.6 miles away); Henry Ford Birthplace (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
Regarding Dearborn City Hall. Dearborn City Hall is now City Hall Artspace Lofts. Dearborn's government moved to the Administrative Center, located at 16901 Michigan Avenue — approximately 1.6 miles west.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 19, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 20, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 6. submitted on August 19, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.