Miakka in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Miakka School
The Miakka School House was built in 1914 by J.B. Rogers for $1,390. It was the first school in Manatee County to be built using school bonds authorized by the Legislature of 1913. This area was part of Manatee County until 1921.
The two acres of land surrounding the school house were deeded to the county school board on July 23, 1914 by Augustus M. and Calidonia Wilson. "Gus" Wilson represented Manatee County in the State Legislature of 1913 and 1915. He was postmaster of Miakka, served as tax assessor, census enumerator, and as a member of the school board for eight years.
Professor Lee Hall was hired for $55 a month when the building was completed. Teachers generally resided with the families in the community. School was in session only five months a year, as pupils were needed at home to help with family crops and other chores.
The Miakka School was disbanded around 1944 and pupils were sent to other schools. Jasper Crowley, who served from 1933 to 1944, was the much loved teacher at that time.
On July 3, 1986, The Miakka School was officially listed in the National Register
Erected 1987 by Sarasota County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
Location. 27° 19.223′ N, 82° 16.172′ W. Marker is in Miakka, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilson Road and Myakka Road, on the left when traveling west on Wilson Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15800 Wilson Road, Sarasota FL 34240, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miakka (approx. Ό mile away); Bethany Baptist Church (approx. 10.6 miles away); Friendship Baptist Church (approx. 11.4 miles away); Fruitville Elementary School (approx. 11.9 miles away); Wilson Family and Home (approx. 12.1 miles away); Loring Lovell (approx. 13.8 miles away); Palmer Ranch (approx. 14 miles away); South Creek Trestle / Oscar Scherer History (approx. 15.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.