Tilton in Belknap County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
The Tilton Mills
Tilton Riverfront Park
The Tilton Riverfront Park was once the site of a very prosperous mill, known by many as the Pilsbury Mill. Originally built in 1868, and called the Winnisquam Mill, it was used to manufacture cotton. Later owners used it to manufacture ladies shoes, wollen goods, an finally, leather items. Its most redent incarnation was as the Tilton Leather Mill. Prior to its demolition, it was called "the best surviving nineteenth century wollen factory in the state."
In designing the Tilton Riverfront Park, the park committee worked diligently to capture and incorporate the history of the site into the park's design. The park's design links the past
Erected by Public Service of New Hampshire.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 43° 26.568′ N, 71° 35.671′ W. Marker is in Tilton, New Hampshire, in Belknap County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 3) and Winter Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is in Riverfront Park with two others. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tilton NH 03276, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Winnipesaukee River (a few steps from this marker); The Town of Tilton (a few steps from this marker); Soldiers' Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Northfield WWI Memorial (about 500 feet away); Tilton WWI Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Grateful Tribute (approx. 0.4 miles away); Northfield Veteran's Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Live Free or Die (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tilton.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.