Mason County / Mason County Courthouse
The first permanent Euro-American settlement in Mason County began in 1847 when New York native Burr Caswell and his family arrived at the mouth of the Pere Marquette River. The Caswells lived in a driftwood cabin near the Ottawa village of Nindebekantunning. Abundant pine forests attracted lumbermen including Charles Mears, James Ludington, and Eber Brock Ward. In 1855 the state legislature organized Mason County, named for Michigan’s first governor, Stevens T. Mason. The Caswell farmhouse in Pere Marquette Township served as the county seat. In 1860, Charles Mears persuaded the board to remove the county seat to Little Sauble (later Lincoln). But remote Little Sauble could not compete with booming Ludington. In 1873, Ludington became the permanent county seat.
Mason County Courthouse
Ludington became the Mason county seat in 1873, when county offices were moved from the now-vanished village of Little Sauble. At that time, Ludington was the county’s most prosperous settlement. Formerly called Pere Marquette, Ludington was platted in 1867 by Milwaukee lumberman James Ludington. The town
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L0404.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 43° 57.324′ N, 86° 26.685′ W. Marker is in Ludington, Michigan, in Mason County. Marker is at the intersection of Ludington Avenue (U.S. 10) and Rowe Street, on the right when traveling east on Ludington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 East Ludington Avenue, Ludington MI 49431, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mason County Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Swedish Lutheran Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War I Memorial S.S. Badger / Ludington Car Ferries (approx. half a mile away); S.S. Pere Marquette 18 (approx. ¾ mile away); S.S. City of Flint 32 (approx. ¾ mile away); Armistice Day Storm (approx. ¾ mile away); War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ludington.
Also see . . . Mason County, Michigan, Official Website. (Submitted on August 30, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 30, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.