Newark in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The present house was built in 1869 by Dixon Brown, a Somerset, Ohio merchant, as a wedding present for his daughter, Ella Brown McCune.
The second owner, Melville O. Baker, occupied the house from 1879-1893, when Mr. Baker moved to Coshocton to found the Coshocton National Bank.
Dr. and Mrs. Claude A. Stimson occupied the house until 1945. He conducted his medical practice next door.
The Merrill Montgomery family owned the property until 1975 when it was purchased and restored by Mr. and Mrs. J. Gilbert Reese.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 40° 3.568′ N, 82° 24.073′ W. Marker is in Newark, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is at the intersection of North Second Street and East Church Street, on the right when traveling north on North Second Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 North Second Street, Newark OH 43055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence (a few steps from this marker); Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial BuildingArchitectural Artifact from The Old Home, 1914 (within shouting distance of this marker); Jewett Interurban Car Company (within shouting distance of this marker); In honor of Jerry McClain (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Parish Military Personnel Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Tree (about 500 feet away); The Licking County Courthouse (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 31, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.