Our Saviour's Lutheran Church
Registered Michigan Historic Site
Organized as a Scandinavian congregation in 1868, Our Saviour's became a Danish church in 1875 and served the American Evangelical Lutheran Synod until 1962. First used for worship in 1869, the building escaped damage in the Fire of 1871 and was completed with the addition of the tower in 1888. Danish architectural features are present, particularly the weathervane-topped spire, and the Danish language was used in services until mid-twentieth century. Our Saviour's is now a museum of Danish life in America.
Erected 1972 by Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L0119.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 44° 14.617′ N, 86° 19.244′ W. Marker is in Manistee, Michigan, in Manistee County. Marker is on Walnut Street south of 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Walnut Street, Manistee MI 49660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Also see . . . Our Saviour's Evangelical Lutheran Church. (Submitted on September 1, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 1, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.