Hadley in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Merged With D&H 11/1902
Hotel Guests Met At Station
Hadley Depot Closed 8/1958
Station Has Been Demolished
Erected 1999 By Town of Hadley
Erected 1999 by Town of Hadley.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1865.
Location. 43° 19.012′ N, 73° 50.952′ W. Marker is in Hadley, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Rockwell St. (County Route 4) and The railroad tracks, on the right when traveling west on Rockwell St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hadley NY 12835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To Those Who Served (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Office (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arlington Hotel (about 600 feet away); Hadley & Lake Luzerne Korean War and Vietnam War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Hadley Bow Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Jeremy RockwellBow Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Paper Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hadley.
Regarding Hadley Station. In 1871, a sixty mile railroad line was completed from Saratoga Springs to North Creek, New York, creating an important link with the Adirondack Mountains.
The rail line began in 1863 as the Adirondack Company, incorporated under Dr. Thomas C. Durant, a leading figure in the Union Pacific Railroad. In 1881 the mortgage was foreclosed on the property, and the line was sold to his son, William West Durant, and then renamed The Adirondack Railway Company. On November 5th in 1902 it merged with the Delaware and Hudson Railroad to become the Adirondack Branch.
The railroad station in Hadley was built in 1870 as a combination passenger and freight station and was the largest one of on the line, and measured 20'x96'. In 1957, the NYS Public Service Commission granted permission to suspend passenger service to the Hadley depot. It closed on August 5th, 1958. It was sold and removed probably in 1959 and the property was sold to Joseph White who used the spot to park trucks for his lumbering business. It was located on the northeast side
Also see . . .
1. Hadley Station Photos. (Submitted on September 2, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Hadley Station Drawing. (Submitted on September 2, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 300 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3. submitted on July 6, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. 4. submitted on September 2, 2016, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.