Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Fireproof Building
On June 2, 1922 the facade of the original Fireproof building was cut back 10 feet due to the widening of High Street for increased automobile use along with cable cars. This created the beautiful front structure we see today.
As the moving & storage industry changed, the building transitioned into secure storage for business assets. For over 30 years it served as headquarters for Fireproof Records Center one of the country’s largest information storage companies.
The Fireproof Building spans over a century of industry development and change personifying the vibrant spirit of strength and innovation abundantin Columbus’ Short North Community.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture Industry & Commerce • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 39° 58.994′ N, 83° 0.273′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of North High Street and Aston Row Lane, on the right when traveling north on North High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1026 N High St, Columbus OH 43201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Father Rocco Petrarca (approx. half a mile away); Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli / Chiesta Italiana di San Giovanni Battista (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln Goodale (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tod Barracks, 1863 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Flytown (approx. 0.7 miles away); Iskcon Krishna House (approx. 0.9 miles away); NECKO Neighborhood / E. J. McMillen Homestead Addition (approx. one mile away); Old Ohio Union (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. The marker mentions “cable cars” on High Street. It should read “streetcars” as cable cars never ran on High Street. Electric powered streetcars, also known as trolleys, ran on High Street up to Clintonville from 1899 to 1948.
Regarding The Fireproof Building. Today the building houses loft-style apartments ranging from 785 square-foot studios to 2,350 square-foot two-bedroom units.
Also see . . . From Horse-drawn to High Tech, Fireproof Storage Spans the Century. (Submitted on September 2, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2016, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.