Granby in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Lost Acres Fire Dept.
Horace B. Clark, Fire Commissioner the City Hartford was the man responsible for the development of the Lost Acres Fire Department. Mr. Clark had a large estate “Lost Acres” in North Granby from which the name of the present fire company is derived in compliment to him. On June 1, 1936 eleven men responded to a call to organize a volunteer fire department at Lost Acres. On February 24, 1941 L.A.F.D. became incorporated with thirty-one active members.
Eleven Men and Members Who Have Served
Ten or More Years of Active Service
In 1944, when a shortage of Granby firefighters occurred during W.W.II, the Women’s Forest Fire Crew was organized. These same women formed the L.A.F.D. Women’s Auxiliary. In June, 1946 they provide food at fire emergencies, raise funds for the L.A.F.D., march at parades, help with fire prevention activities and contribute to the welfare of fire victims. Before modern technology, members were alerted to fire calls by the auxiliary using home phones and operating fire siren controls.
volunteered their time and talent to serve the
residents of Granby with fire prevention, fire
suppression and emergency service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work.
Location. 41° 56.723′ N, 72° 47.45′ W. Marker is in Granby, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Salmon Brook Street (Connecticut Route 10) and Elmwood Court, on the left when traveling south on Salmon Brook Street. Located in front of the Lost Acres Fire Dept. Center Station. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granby CT 06035, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Granby (within shouting distance of this marker); Granby Veterans Wall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veteran's Monument (approx. half a mile away); Granby Civil War Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Original First Congregational Church Meetinghouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lake Basile (approx. 2 miles away); Farmington Canal 1828-1848 (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granby.
Also see . . . Lost Acres Fire Department. (Submitted on September 4, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 4, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.