When the Terrace Inn opened in 1911, its owners billed it as Bay View's "newest and most modern hotel." One of only two remaining hotels among the resort's four hundred Victorian houses and public buildings, it was built to accommodate the growing numbers of summer visitors to Bay View, including those on adult education Chautauqua tours. William J. DeVol of Lebanon, Indiana, and his wife, Josephine, built the inn and served as the original proprietors. The new inn featured such modern amenities as hot water heat, hot and cold baths, and electric lights and call bells. The dining room offered a full menu with "hot things very hot, and cold things very cold." Although the interior saw some alterations to meet the changing needs of guests, the Terrace Inn retains its historic character.
Erected 2009 by Michigan Historical Commission, Michigan Historical Center.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); Library (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vernor Hall (about 600 feet away); Evelyn Hall (about 600 feet away); Post Office (about 700 feet away); Bay View / Bay View Association (about 700 feet away); John M. Hall Auditorium (approx. 0.2 miles away); Speaker's Stand (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay View.
Also see . . . Terrace Inn, Bay View, Michigan. (Submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 5, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.