Good Shepherd Church
An active Catholic presence was established in Frankfort in 1808 with with Reverend Angier as priest. In 1820s mass was offered at house on Broadway, opposite Capitol. In 1835 worship held in house near railroad tunnel; in 1837 Bishop Flaget of Bardstown purchased house for Catholics on corner of Broadway and High St. Presented by Good Shepherd Church.
Good Shepherd Church - By 1837 the Catholic community was formally called St. Patrick Mission. Ten years later there was an influx of German and Irish immigrants to Frankfort. A permanent pastor, Father J.M. Lancaster, was appointed in 1848. The property on Wapping Street was purchased in 1849. Congregation was renamed Good Shepherd with the dedication of the church in 1850.
Erected 2000 by Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2057.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 38° 11.858′ N, 84° 52.749′ W. Marker is in
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frankfort Bridge Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Justice Todd House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Paul Sawyier Library (about 300 feet away); Corner In Celebrities (about 300 feet away); Vest-Lindsey House (about 400 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Macklin House (about 500 feet away); Morehead House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 5, 2016, by Pat Filippone of Stockton, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of reverse side of marker. • Can you help?