Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine

 
 
U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, September 2, 2016
1. U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine Marker
Inscription.  
The powder magazine, 23' by 67', originally built in 1839 as part of the 1833 - 1875 Detroit Arsenal in Dearbornville, was located about 930 feet east of the eleven buildings shown on the edges of this marker. It was made of local brick, featured 30' walls, vaulted brick ceiling, pegged beams, slate roof, ventilators and two massive, copper-clad wooden doors. The property was purchased in 1883 by Nathaniel Ross who remodeled and occupied it in 1884. His daughter, Mary Elizabeth Ross, who died here in 1950, willed it to Dearborn for museum purposes. Named for her parents, the McFadden-Ross Museum opened on October 27, 1956. A cave-in revealed the well in 1967.
 
Erected 1976 by Dearborn Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationForts and Castles. A significant historical date for this entry is October 27, 1956.
 
Location. 42° 18.481′ N, 83° 14.408′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of South Brady Street and Garrison Street, on the right when traveling north on South
U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine image. Click for more information.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, September 2, 2016
2. U.S. Arsenal 1839-1875 Powder Magazine
The McFadden-Ross House
Dearborn Historical Museum website entry
Click for more information.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Brady Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 915 South Brady Street, Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Richard Gardner House (within shouting distance of this marker); U. S. Arsenal - - - Armory (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Arsenal-Sutler's Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Military Reserve (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michigan Soldiers Trained at U.S. Arsenal During Civil War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commandant's Quarters (approx. ¼ mile away); U.S. Arsenal Officers' - Surgeons' Quarters and Barracks 1833 - 1875 (approx. ¼ mile away); U.S. Arsenal 1833 - 1875 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=97504

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Nov. 28, 2022