Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
U.S. Arsenal 1833 - 1875
Four of the eleven buildings that comprised the arsenal stood directly in a north-south line with this marker.
Facing Michigan Avenue was the saddlers shop, while in this area were the smiths and carpenters shops, all three were one story brick buildings which measured 30 x 60 feet, across Garrison Avenue was the Officers Quarters, a structure which resembled the Commandants Quarters building on Michigan and Monroe.
Although the arsenal's major purpose was the storage of military equipment, troops were enlisted and trained here during the Civil War.
Of this important installation, around which our city grew, the only remaining building in its original state is the Commandants Quarters.
Erected by Dearborn Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles.
Location. 42° 18.371′ N, 83° 14.685′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Avenue (U.S. 12) and Monroe Street, on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22022 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commandant's Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan Soldiers Trained at U.S. Arsenal During Civil War (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Military Reserve (about 300 feet away); Westward Welcome (about 400 feet away); U. S. Arsenal - - - Armory (about 400 feet away); U.S. Arsenal Officers' - Surgeons' Quarters and Barracks 1833 - 1875 (about 400 feet away); Bryant Branch Library (about 500 feet away); U.S. Arsenal-Sutler's Shop (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.