Sandisfield in Berkshire County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The village was a lively commercial center throughout the 1800s under the Twinings, Dr. Parsons, Joseph Norton, the Clarks and Orlow Northway. In the 20th century Stricklands and later Gampettis were proprietors of the inn (c.1755) and the New Boston Store (c 17605-2012).
Other historically important points include the Hull Tannery Complex (1840-1917), "The Old Red Shop” wood milling at Roosterville (1844-1955) The Little Brown Church (1876) and “Suicide Hill” ski jump (1933-38).
In 1967 the hamlet of Colebrook River south of the village was removed for a flood control reservoir. The venerable Hawley Tavern (1798) there was also lost.
Sandisfield Historical Commission
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 5.605′ N, 73° 4.533′ W. Marker is in Sandisfield, Massachusetts, in Berkshire County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Main Street (Massachusetts Route 8) and Tolland Road (Massachusetts Route 57), on the left when traveling north on S. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sandisfield MA 01255, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The New Boston Inn (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tolland Honor Roll (approx. 3.3 miles away); In Memory of Gordon Hall (approx. 3.3 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Rock School (approx. 6.2 miles away in Connecticut); The Store at West Granville (approx. 6.9 miles away); First Congregational Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Otis Veterans Monument (approx. 7.1 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Town of Sandisfield. Town website homepage (Submitted on September 6, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Sandisfield, Massachusetts. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on September 6, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 256 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 6, 2016, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.