Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gainesville in Cooke County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Santa Fe Passenger Depot

 
 
Santa Fe Passenger Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
1. Santa Fe Passenger Depot Marker
Smaller plaque notes building entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Inscription.  By the end of the 19th Century Gainesville was established as one of the state's major rail centers. This depot was built about 1902 to handle the increased traffic on the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad. The red brick structure contained a Harvey House Restaurant until 1931. Although railroad use declined after World War II, this depot stands as a reminder of Gainesville's importance in Texas' early economic growth.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4580.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsRailroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
 
Location. 33° 37.501′ N, 97° 8.447′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Texas, in Cooke County. Marker is at the intersection of Depot Lane and East Elm Street, on the right when traveling north on Depot Lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 East California Street, Gainesville TX 76240, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Santa Fe Passenger Depot image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
2. Santa Fe Passenger Depot
Now the Museum At Santa Fe Depot and an AMTRAK station.
Click or scan to see
this page online
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gainesville-Fort Sill Road (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Hanging at Gainesville, 1862 (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barbed Wire in Cooke County (approx. Ό mile away); Cooke County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Old California Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old City Hall-Fire Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Davis House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
 
Also see . . .  Station History. (Submitted on September 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
View of marker on west side of depot. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
3. View of marker on west side of depot.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=97595

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 2, 2022