Harbor Springs in Emmet County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
GR&I Railroad Depot
Registered Michigan Historic Site
The Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad linked Harbor Springs to its main line in 1882, further opening the Little Traverse Bay area to resort and commercial development. Grand Rapids architect Sidney J. Osgood designed this depot, built in 1889, to serve an influx of new residents, tourists, and commerce. By the mid-twentieth century the popularity of automobiles led to the decline of passenger railroads. The last train left the depot in 1962.
Erected 2006 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2165.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 45° 25.731′ N, 84° 59.347′ W. Marker is in Harbor Springs, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker is on Bay Street west of State Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 West Bay Street, Harbor Springs MI 49740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other World Wars Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew J. Blackbird House / Makade Binisii Wegamik (approx. ¼ mile away); Andrew J. Blackbird / Mack-e-te-be-nesey (approx. ¼ mile away); Ephraim Shay (approx. ¼ mile away); Little Traverse Bay (approx. 3.9 miles away); Pere Marquette Railroad Station (approx. 4 miles away); Lombard Post No. 170 G.A.R. Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Site of the 1899 Department of Michigan G.A.R. Encampment (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harbor Springs.
Also see . . .
1. Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on February 14, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. Grand Rapids & Indiana. Railroads Michigan entry (Submitted on September 8, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.