Moose in Teton County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
A Spiritual Heart in the Park
Early 1920's: Maud Noble, a prominent local figure, donates part of her land for the construction of the Chapel of the Transfiguration.
1925: The Chapel is built from lodgepole pine and the pews from quaking aspen. Bishop of Wyoming consecrates the Chapel.
1963: "Spencer's Mountain," featuring Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Hara, is filmed at the Chapel and other areas in Jackson Hole
1978: President Jimmy Carter attends services at the Chapel
April 10, 1980: The
1995: President Bill Clinton and family attend services at the Chapel
Summer 2013: The Endowment for the Chapel of the Transfiguration is established to insure the ministry and preservation of this exceptional treasure.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #39 James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr., and the Former U.S. Presidents: #42 William Jefferson "Bill" Clinton series lists.
Location. 43° 39.588′ N, 110° 42.894′ W. Marker is in Moose, Wyoming, in Teton County. Marker is on Menors Ferry Road near Teton Park Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moose WY 83012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walk Back in Time (within shouting distance of this marker); A National Park Takes Root (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Maud Noble Cabin (about 700 feet away); “Mean and Menor” (about 700 feet away); Menor’s Ferry (about 700 feet away); Water Filter (about 800 Staying Cool (about 800 feet away); Making it Last (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moose.
Also see . . . Chapel of the Transfiguration - Wikipedia. The Chapel of the Transfiguration is a small log chapel in Grand Teton National Park, in the community of Moose. The chapel was sited and built to frame a view of the Cathedral Group of peaks in a large window behind the altar. The chapel, which was built in 1925, is owned and operated by St. John's Episcopal Church in Jackson. (Submitted on September 9, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.