Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
No. 1 British Flying Training School
Both the Terrell and Kaufman Chambers of Commerce assisted in locating a suitable location for the new training school. Following the naming of Major W.F. Long of Dallas as the operator of the school, a site was selected about one mile south of Terrell on the Bond and Patton farms. Terrell Aviation School opened shortly thereafter. In addition to the main field at the No. 1 BFTS, to ease congestion the school had two auxiliary fields to the south of Terrell on the Boykin and Tarver farms. Civilian instructors provided the cadets with 20 weeks of preparation that included both flight training and ground school classes that covered meteorology, airmanship, navigation,
The motto of No. 1 BFTS was "the seas divide, but the skies unite". The people of Terrell welcomed cadets into their community and the cadets contributed their talents to the cultural life of the town. The war over, and their mission complete, on September 10, 1945, the final cadets left Terrell’s railroad station with a contingent of local citizens waving them on. In 2002, the No. 1 BFTS Museum opened in Terrell to commemorate not only the wartime school, but the continuing cooperation between the British Commonwealth and the United States in war and peace.
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16688.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • War, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1941.
Location. 32° 43.058′ N, 96° 16.187′ W. Marker is in Terrell, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of Silent Wings Boulevard and Airport Road, on the left when traveling south on Silent Wings Boulevard. Located at the No. 1 British Flying Training School Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 Silent Wings Boulevard, Terrell TX 75160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Major W.F. Long (approx. half a mile away); William Henry Burnett (approx. one mile away); Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Old Graveyard (approx. 1.3 miles away); The American National Bank (approx. 1.4 miles away); Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940) (approx. 1˝ miles away); Robert A. Terrell Home (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terrell.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Major W.F. Long
Also see . . . No. 1 British Flying Training School Museum. (Submitted on September 9, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 269 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.