Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot
The first depot, a 20' x 60' frame structure, was completed by June 1873. The depot nearly doubled in size by 1884 to a 20' x 102' structure with an office, waiting room and freight room, surrounded by a freight platform of 8,360 square feet. By 1892 a separate passenger depot was built across the street.
This freight depot was constructed in 1911, in an era of infrastructure expansion of the national rail system. This utilitarian building retains most of its original features, including three bays on its primary facade, a broad hipped roof, and freight doors on the north, south, and east sides. Once an integral part of the region's economy, this depot was closed in 1977. It remains a significant element of the town's railroad
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8559.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 32° 44.117′ N, 96° 16.548′ W. Marker is in Terrell, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of East Broad Street and South Virginia Street (Texas Highway 34), on the right when traveling west on East Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Terrell TX 75160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The American National Bank (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940) (approx. ¼ mile away); Carnegie Public Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Carnegie Library Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First Christian Church of Terrell (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Church of the Good Shepherd (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terrell.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.