The History of Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church
The Cross Village Presbyterian Church was first organized on February 19, 1888, and dedicated in October of 1890. In 1918, a fire that destroyed much of the town also consumed the church. The church was rebuilt in 1921 as the results of the untiring efforts of a pioneer missionary, Reverend John Redpath. While the church was under construction, Rev. Redpath, who was eighty years old at the time, worked at any task, however menial, that was within his strength. He also canvassed all the resort areas in the county to raise funds. The summer people, who were impressed by his sincerity and zeal, responded generously. Through his persistent faith and constant endeavor, this beautiful house of worship was made possible. During his lifetime, no thought had been given to naming the church for its pastor. No doubt the idea would have been embarrassing to the unassuming man that he was. Following his death in 1926, the congregation felt that it must be so named.
During the next few years, the lumbering people moved away and the population in Cross Village dwindled. This small picturesque stone church stood empty. At one point, it was about to be
Two young couples who summered with their families in Cross Village felt that this beautiful church should again become a living house of worship. Jerry and Ellen Archer and David and Anne Munger asked the Presbytery for permission to reopen the church for the regular Protestant worship services during the summer, since the only other church in the vicinity was Roman Catholic. The presbytery granted permission to reopen the church, and Jerry Archer and David Munger each conducted five services in the summer of 1965. By 1967, the church had many that attended regularly and helped with the worship services when they were in the area. The season that year was lengthened to twelve Sunday services beginning with a Memorial Day service and ending Labor Day Sunday.
This small congregation has continued to grow in attendance, income and dedication. Members of the church meet on Memorial Day weekend to elect officers, divide responsibilities and complete plans for the following summer. After necessary building maintenance is done and special requests and emergency needs are cared for, a portion of the offerings are returned to the community. A number of Cross Village college students are awarded scholarships each year to further their education. We have
The congregation is comprised of many summer residents who are active in their home churches during the winter, but take part in the life of this church when they are vacationing in the area. Current residents of Cross Village, retired and young couples who have recently moved into the area and visitors of members also attend services. Those who pass by and are intrigued with the uniqueness of this church are welcome to worship at Redpath.
Lay people as well as occasional guest speakers conduct worship services. Following the service on Sunday, there is a coffee hour at the church or in a home or nearby cottage of one of the members. The term "church family" describes this small group of dedicated people who are endeavoring to do God's will by providing a place of worship, a source of spiritual strength, fellowship and friendship.
We ask God's continued blessing on this little church and all that worship here.
Erected by Redpath Memorial Presbyterian Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is February 19, 1888.
Location. 45° 38.579′ N, 85° 2.13′ W. Marker is in Cross Village, Michigan, in Emmet County. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Legs Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Light Houses of Grays Reef Passage (about 500 feet away); L'Arbre Croche (approx. 2 miles away); Area Of The Old Council Tree (approx. 2˝ miles away); Middle Village (approx. 7.3 miles away); a different marker also named Middle Village (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Ignatius Mission (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Ignatius of Loyola Church and Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cross Village.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 214 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.