Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dr. L. E. Griffith Homeplace
Dr. L.E. Griffith (1813-1897) arrived in Texas Apr. 30, 1836 nine days after the Battle of San Jacinto. His first patient upon arrival was Sam Houston, whose leg he is credited with saving after a severe wound received in that battle. Ordered by the government in 1836 to render medical aid to the citizens of San Antonio in the aftermath of the Alamo, he later returned in 1846 as U.S. Surgeon in charge of a field hospital
Erected 1962 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8524.)
Location. 32° 44.589′ N, 96° 16.957′ W. Marker is in Terrell, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is on First Street south of Griffith Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 805 First Street, Terrell TX 75160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Victorian Residence, 1883 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rockwall and Brin Church of Christ (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles Walter P. and Meck Allen House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Church of the Good Shepherd (approx. 0.4 miles away); Terrell Elementary School (approx. 0.4 miles away); S. M. N. Marrs (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terrell.
Also see . . . Griffith Homeplace Museum Facebook page. (Submitted on September 18, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas.)
Categories. • Architecture • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
More. Search the internet for Dr. L. E. Griffith Homeplace.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 18, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 18, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.