Brazile Petoskey Dry Goods and Groceries
301 East Lake Street
The City of Petoskey was named after Ignatius Petoskey who is pictured above with his two sons. The earliest commercial building at this site was a dry goods and grocery store operated by Brazile (also; "Bazile" or "Basil") Petoskey, sitting to the right of his father in this photo. Mitchell Petoskey, Brazile's brother, is seated to his father's left. At the turn of the century this Petoskey Street location was part of a bustling shopping district that extended to the waterfront and was known as the Midway. This site had uses such as an ice cream shop before Carl and Ruth Shorter opened a souvenir shop here in 1946. In 1996, the historic charm of the Grandpa Shorter's building was restored by William and Marietta Shorter.
National Register of Historic Places
Erected by Little Traverse Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Michigan - Little Traverse Regional Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1946.
Location. 45° 22.503′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. G & A Building (a few steps from this marker); Montgomery Sisters (within shouting distance of this marker); National Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Schapler Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Petoskey Housefurnishing Co. / Reid Furniture (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Braun (about 400 feet away); M. J. Bourke: Agricultural Specialties (about 400 feet away); Braun's Restaurant (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petoskey.
Also see . . .
1. Little Traverse Historical Society. (Submitted on September 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Grandpa Shorter's, Petoskey MI. (Submitted on September 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.