Henrietta in Clay County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Hereford Cattle in Texas
in the year of our Lord 1876
that the first registered
Hereford cattle set their
hooves in Texas and there-
after revolutionized the
beef cattle industry of the
United States of America.
This monument erected and
dedicated in October, 1980,
in honor and memory of those
whose imagination and courage
have made the Hereford the
finest beef animal in the world.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1980.
Location. 33° 48.948′ N, 98° 11.773′ W. Marker is in Henrietta, Texas, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and West Gilbert Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Located on the grounds of the Clay County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 North Main Street, Henrietta TX 76365, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cambridge (within shouting distance of this marker); 1890 Clay County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Clay County (approx. 0.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Texas State Historical Association article on Hereford Cattle in Texas. (Submitted on September 21, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. The Texas Hereford Association history of Hereford cattle in Texas. (Submitted on September 21, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 21, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 21, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.