Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tenth Street Historic District Freedman's Town
Though the community continued to maintain a strong African American heritage, the construction of IH-35 east in 1955 and integration in the 1960s resulted in the demolition of around 175 original and influenced residents to seek opportunities elsewhere. Residential buildings date to as early as 1910 and are relatively unchanged. Oak
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18318.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Architecture. In addition, it is included in the Christian Methodist Episcopal (CME) Church series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 32° 45.073′ N, 96° 48.367′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of East Eighth Street and Anthony Street, on the right when traveling east on East Eighth Street. Touch for map . Marker is at or near this postal address: 1216 E Eighth St, Dallas TX 75203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oak Cliff Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oak Cliff United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Colonel William G. Cooke (approx. Ύ mile away); Officer J.D. Tippit (approx. 0.8 miles away); Samuel David Dealey, Jr. (approx. 0.9 miles away); Frank Reaugh (approx. one mile away); W.H. Adamson High School (approx. one mile away); Dallas Zoo (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
More about this marker. The dedication ceremony for this marker was held September 17, 2016 at 10 AM, sharing the event with the ribbon cutting for the N.W. Harllee Early Childhood Center, in front of which it stands. The historical marker was produced through the Texas Historical Commission's "Undertold Marker" program.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 115 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 22, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.