Terrell in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Terrell State Hospital
Admitted 330 patients during first year. Gradually enlarged with 2,300 patients by 1920; it was largest hospital of its kind west of Mississippi.
No original buildings are left. Only the fountain in circular park and water tower remain from old hospital grounds.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Commission. (Marker Number 8556.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine.
Location. 32° 44.308′ N, 96° 15.788′ W. Marker is in Terrell, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is on East Brin Street 0.2 miles east of East State Street, on the left when traveling east. In front of the administration building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1200 East Brin Street, Terrell TX 75160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this First Christian Church of Terrell (approx. ¾ mile away); Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot (approx. ¾ mile away); Terrell State Hospital Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); S. M. N. Marrs (approx. 0.8 miles away); Terrell Elementary School (approx. 0.8 miles away); The American National Bank (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. John Catholic Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terrell.
Also see . . . Terrell State Hospital (Texas State Historical Association). (Submitted on September 24, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.